I was lucky enough to visit the beautiful country of Peru a few years ago, and fully embraced the culture of the Sacred Valley and Machu Picchu. The simplicity of their food still delights my tastebuds. Everything was fresh and healthy. It’s not very often you leave a vacation and think "wow, I ate so healthy!"
Make a big batch and freeze some for later. You will definitely be craving this soup again and again.
Here’s what you will need:
- 1 or 2 chicken breasts or 1 package of tofu, cut into small bite-sized pieces
- 1 cup of quinoa
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 or 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 or 2 large carrots, chopped
- 2 celery sticks, sliced
- 1 sweet potato, cubed
- 1 teaspoon fresh oregano
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 4 tablespoons ghee or olive oil
- 1 or 2 bay leaves
- 10 sprigs of cilantro, chopped
For the broth:
*See recipe below
- 4-5 Tbsp of THS Immune Boosting Broth blend
- 65 oz. of filtered water
- The bones and carcass from a whole chicken (omit for vegetarians, and use more vegetables)
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 2 stalks of celery, chopped
To Make Your Own: THS Immune Boosting Broth*
- Gather 4-5 Tablespoons of THS Immune Boosting Soup Blend. Place in a muslin bag.
- Add the muslin bag, chicken bones, and vegetables to a large pot.
- Cover with 65 oz. of water. Bring to a boil for a few minutes. Then lower the temperature and let it simmer for approximately 30-45 min.
- Pull off the burner and let it cool. Then remove your muslin bag and strain out the vegetables and bones.
- Place the broth in jars, and label, date, and keep in the refrigerator.
To Make Your Own: THS Immune Boosting Peruvian Chicken & Quinoa Soup
- Before getting started, rinse your quinoa with cold water and let sit in 2 cups of water for approximately 2 hours.
- Heat your ghee in a stock pot and add your onions and garlic and brown in a stock pot for 2-5 minutes. Add your chicken to the onions and garlic, along with salt and pepper to taste. The chicken does not need to be fully cooked as you will be continuing to cook it in the stock pot.
- Stir in your carrots, celery, and sweet potato.
Drain excess water from quinoa, and add to pot. Immediately add the THS Immune Boosting Broth, bay leaves, and oregano. Bring to a boil and then allow to simmer with the lid on for 20-30 minutes until carrots are tender and the chicken is fully cooked through.
- For Tofu: Wait until the soup is almost finished, and then add to the soup for about 2-5 minutes or until soft.
- Salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve with fresh cilantro on top and enjoy!
Learning to make your own herbal products is a fun evolution to bring balance to your life. On your person and in your home. We understand that not everyone likes to make his or her own products. We take great pleasure in creating products and recipes for you.
However, if you are interested in going more in-depth to make all your own herbal products, we will be offering our Make Your Own Product Series as a recorded class in the future.
To set up an herbal consultation with me email: firstname.lastname@example.org