Turmeric is our Herb of the Month for August, and with our focus being on inflammation and pain this month, it's clear to see why!
Turmeric contains a powerful antioxidant called curcumin, which has been shown to be helpful in reducing chronic inflammatory responses. This antioxidant is not very bioavailable due to the speed at which it travels through our bodies. Combining Turmeric with a fat source (such as the yogurt in this delicious lassi, or coconut milk in your Golden Milk latte) allows for more curcumin to absorb. Another important ingredient that can help Turmeric become more bioavailable is Black Pepper! A constituent in Black Pepper helps our body to absorb more of the curcumin, which is why we always combine Turmeric and Black Pepper anytime we reach for Turmeric! Including in our Turmeric Tango Tea featured in this yummy drink!
Lassi is a traditional dahi (yogurt)-based drink found in India. Traditionally, yogurt is blended with spices, water, and sometimes fruit. Lassis come in all kinds of flavors, some are salty, some are sweet, and some have fruit. Mango lassi is one of the popular flavors often found in Indian restaurants here in the United States. Our Turmeric Tango Tea blend is perfect for this recipe because it contains many delicious spices used in Ayurvedic medicine and found in India, such as Cardamon, Cinnamon, Cloves, and Black Pepper. And of course, Turmeric!
Try our Turmeric Tango Tea in this fun twist on a classic Indian drink!
Ingredients (per 1 lassi):
- 1/2 cup Turmeric Tango Tea (instructions for making tea below)
- 2/3 cup Yogurt (Any kind will do, but we recommend using something with fat content to help with the absorption of curcumin!)
- 3/4 cup Frozen Mango
- 1 tsp Honey (optional, adjust for taste)
Directions for making tea:
- Combine 1 tablespoon of Turmeric Tango Tea for every 8oz of water, and bring to a boil on the stove.
- Turn down to low heat, and allow to simmer for 10-20 minutes.
- Turn off heat and strain.
Directions for making your Turmeric Mango Tango lassi:
- Add 4 oz. (1/2 cup) of the Turmeric Tango Tea that you prepared above to a blender.
- Next add frozen mango, yogurt, and honey.
- Blend until smooth and creamy,
- Pour into a glass and enjoy the spiced, creamy Mango Tango goodness!