Making a salve can be fun and rewarding. Its really so simple to make! This is my favorite recipe for creating a simple skin healing and scar reducing salve.
To Infuse the herbs with your oil base:
- Choose what herbs you would like to infuse. Do your research because you may find some that are better suited to you. Here are a few of my favorites for skin healing: Calendula, Comfrey Leaf, St. Johns, Rosemary & Yarrow.
- Choose a base oil. Olive Oil is a very easy and affordable oil for infusing herbs as a base for your salve recipe. You may also consider: Grapeseed oil, almond oil, coconut oil or cocoa butter.
- Choose your finishing oils. Essential oils, vitamin E Oil, rosehip seed oil, other infused oils such as Arnica or Poplar.
- Pick out your containers and have them ready.
Blending your infused oil to make salve:
- Place herb blend into oven safe glass container.
- Put base oil blend on top of bulk herbs. Make sure that you cover everything with about an inch of oil on top of herbs.
- Let sit in oven on lowest setting (around 200 or 225 degrees), uncover and let infusion happen for about 2 hours. Keep an eye on it so that it doesn’t burn. If your oven seems to hot then crack the door.
- After 2 hours, remove from the oven and let cool to room temperature. Take cheesecloth and strain all the herbs from the oil. Don’t leave any herbs in the oil or it will spoil your batch.
Ingredients for Skin Healing & Scar Reducing Salve: Makes approximately 35oz
Bulk Herb Blend-Make 2oz total herb blend
- Take your oil infusion and put in top pan of a double boiler.
- Add your wax (I typically use beeswax or soy wax) or butters such as cocoa butter.
- Melt all together. One of my favorite tricks for getting the appropriate consistency is the spoon trick. Take your melted blend and put a small amount on a spoon. Place in the fridge for about 5 min. Pull it out and see how the salve feels. If its to hard then add a little more oil, if its to soft add a little more wax.
- In a separate container blend together all your essential oils and finishing oils.
- Line up all your containers for the completed salves.
- Divide up your finishing oil into the empty containers.
- Take base oil and wax blend and pour into your containers. Let sit over night. Don’t move them for 24 hours if possible to let them completely harden.
- Label and use away!
1 part Agrimony
1 part Calendula
1 part Rosemary
1 part St. John’s Wort
2 part Comfrey Leaf
1 part Gotu Kola
1 part Yarrow
Base Oil Blend-
5oz Coconut Oil
20oz Olive Oil
3oz Grapeseed Oil
Add to melted base oil blend:
1oz cocoa butter
Mix Finishing Oils Separate:
1oz Lavender Essential Oil
½ oz Rosemary Essential Oil
30 Drops Helichrysum Essential Oil
1/2oz Rosehip Seed Oil
30 drops of Vitamin E
30 drops of Poplar Oil
Enough Containers for 35oz.
To set up an herbal consultation with me email: firstname.lastname@example.org